Welcome to Sociology Advising!
The Advising Office is offering in-person and online appointments. The advising office is located in Room 3070 Lincoln Hall. Online appointments are conducted on the Microsoft Teams platform. Please install the application in advance of your appointment. Schedule an appointment.
Appointments are reserved to sociology majors and those interested in majoring in sociology during peak times of the year. Students interested in one of our minors or certificates should refer to the links on our website first. Sociology Ambassadors can answer most questions related to our minors and certificates.
Appointments are approximately 30 minutes long and can cover:
- Declaring a Sociology Major
- Supporting Course Work Planning
- Capstone Planning
- Satisfactory Appeal Progress Forms (Financial Aid)
- Major Plan of Study
- Course Selection/ Schedule
- Post-Graduation Discussions (career/ graduate school)
- Opportunities for student engagement including career development, Ambassadors Program, and AKD honors society
- Study Abroad
Appointments are conducted via the Microsoft Teams platform. Please install the application in advance of your appointment.
Review the Academic Advising Guide
Review your Degree Audit Report before your appointment. Also review Sociology Major Requirements, Supporting Coursework Requirements, and Capstone Experience Requirements/Options.
For Course Planning/Registration appointments, download and complete your course plan to review at your appointment:
The following forms allow you to record Gen Eds, Major requirements, and Supporting Course Work:
Use the following form for Planning Class selection:
Students interested in our minors can find information on our website. Advising is restricted to sociology majors ONLY during priority registration advising. Sociology Ambassadors can answer most minor questions. Visit them during their office hours or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Student Ambassadors serve as Peer Advisors who are available to assist you every day of the week! If you have a question that does not require an appointment with the Academic Advisor and/or can be answered by email, reach out to email@example.com. If you would like to speak with a Peer Advisor, email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
Peer Advising appointments range from 15-30 minutes and can cover:
- Information about our major
- Questions about the Criminology, Law & Society Minor and the Sociology Minor
- Information about the Criminology, Law & Society Certificate and the Social Science Research Methods Certificate
- Learn to run and read a Degree Audit
- Navigate Course Explorer to find general education courses, major classes, and electives
- Learn to use Self-Service and/or Course Explorer
- Help with course registration AFTER meeting with an academic advisor
- Talk about SOC course offerings
- Understanding Moodle and/or Compass 2g
- Discuss department and campus resources (e.g. Life + Career Design Lab, Study Abroad, Career Services)
- Ask about RSO’s and other ways to get involved on campus including our student ambassador program and AKD honors' society
- And more!