What is LAS 100, 101 and 102?

These courses are designed to help students transition to UIUC. You can find more information here: https://las.illinois.edu/resources/classes

If you graduated from a US high school and have attended a US high school for 4 years and are looking for a waiver for LAS 100 requirement, please complete this form: Waiver for LAS 100

How do I get SOC courses I took on Study Abroad approved?

In order to request course credit in sociology for a course taken while study abroad, please submit the Course Approval Summary Form alongside your syllabus and supporting documents to soc-advising@illinois.edu

These forms are approved once on the 5th of each month. 

Remember that you must complete the Course Approval Summary Form even if all the courses you plan to take are in the Course Approval Database. Once you have approvals you till then need to submit the Course Approval Summary Form to LAS Student Academic Affairs (2002 Lincoln Hall) by the Friday of the first week of October (for Spring, Summer and Academic Year term(s) abroad) or March (for Fall term abroad). If you do not complete the course approval process upon your return, your courses will appear as "LAS 388" on your transcript.

More Information: Education Abroad Website

How do I see current courses being offered?

Course Explorer provides the schedule of classes by term and a browsable database of general education requirements in addition to other resources.

For Course Catalog and Programs of Study, please visit the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Academic Catalog, which maintains the official listing of courses, program, and degree requirements for undergraduate and graduate students.

When do I register?

To find your registration time ticket, access the UI-Integrate Self-Service system and follow these steps:

  • Select “Registration and Records."
  • Select "Registration."
  • Select "Registration Eligibility."
  • From the drop-down, select the appropriate term.

Your time ticket represents the earliest time you can register. You will have from that time until the start of the semester to make changes and updates to your schedule.

How do I register?

You will be able to register on your own using UI-Integrate Self-Service.

1. Log in using your Net ID and password.

2. Select "Registration and Records".

3. Select "Enhanced Registration". This will open a new window.

4. Select "Register for Classes".

5. Select the term for which you wish to register.

6. To search for a class, you will:
• Type the course subject (i.e., Mathematics, Chemistry, etc.) in the subject field.
• Type in the course number (i.e., 100, 220, etc.). Leave course title BLANK!
• Click Advanced Search and scroll down until you can see the box for
“Open Sections Only.” Check the box and then click Search.

7. Once you have added the appropriate sections and the course is listed in your “Summary” box, make sure to click “Submit” before adding the next course. Once the course turns GREEN and says “Registered,” this means you are officially enrolled in the course.

For more detailed instructions on how to register, visit the Registration Procedures webpage.

I'm getting an error message, what does it mean?

Following are error messages commonly received during registration. Learn what they mean and what to do when you receive them.

Class Restriction

The class is being held for students at a particular class standing (i.e., freshmen, sophomore, junior, or senior). Try to add another section of the class. Check the class schedule to see if the department has posted when the restriction will be lifted.

Closed or Reserved

The class is being held for students in a particular program or major. Try to add another section of the class. Check the class schedule to see if the department has posted when the restriction will be lifted.

College Restriction

The class is being held for students in a particular college. Check the class schedule to see if the department has posted when the restriction will be lifted.

CORQ Error

Some classes require that you also register for a co‐requisite or attached course. If you get this error, the error message will tell you the class and CRN you need to add. Type both CRNs in the boxes at the bottom of the add/drop screen and try again.

Departmental Approval Required

The course has been restricted by the department. Check the class schedule to see if the department has posted when the restriction will be lifted. Otherwise, contact the department for more information.

Field of Study Restriction

This message indicates there is a major, minor or concentration restriction on the course preventing student registration.

Link Error

Specific lecture sections must be linked to a lab or discussion section. The lecture and the discussion or lab must start with the same letter (A, B, etc.).

For example, I want to register for SOC 100. I need a lecture (AL1) and discussion section (ADA or ADF). If I do not have both the lecture and discussion section selected, or if I register for a BL1 lecture and an ADA discussion, I will get this error.

Major Restriction

This class is being held for students in a particular major or majors. Check the class schedule to see if the department has posted when the restriction will be lifted.

Maximum Hours Exceeded

This message indicates that your are attempting to register for more than the maximum hours allowed.

Program Restriction

This course is restricted to a particular program or major. Check the class schedule to see if the department has posted when the restriction will be lifted.

Student Attribute Restriction / PREQ or Test Score Error

You get one of these messages when you don’t have an attribute required of the course or section. Check the section restrictions in the class schedule. Most often, course are held in this fashion for freshmen, James Scholars, pre-College of Media students, Weston or Allen Hall students, and so on.

These sections will not open to other students unless otherwise noted, so if possible, try to add another section of the class that is unrestricted.

Time Conflict With (CRN)

You will get this message when the time of the course you tried to add conflicts with another course. Check to see if the course conflicts with either a discussion or lecture and try to change the previous or new course to a different time.

Can you help me get into a closed class?

Although academic advisors cannot register you for a closed course, below are our suggestions. Additionally, we are happy to discuss alternative course ideas with you.

  • Keep trying. Someone will probably drop the course, so check frequently to see if someone does. Persistence is the key!
  • Call or stop by the department offering the course to ask:
    • Is there any way I can schedule this course?
    • Are additional sections likely to be added? If so, when?
    • Is there a waiting list? If so, can I add my name to it?
    • What’s the name of the instructor? (If this information is provided to you, call or email the instructor, or stop by during the instructor’s office hours to ask what he or she recommends that you do if you really want or need to take the course.)
  • Expect to make changes during breaks or when you return to campus. Most students do not leave for breaks with schedules finalized.
  • Schedule a related course that would be a good alternative. 
  • Try again during peak times. Right before classes start and during the first 10 days of the semester, people are frequently making changes.
  • Attend the first day of class and ask the instructor if you can register for the course. The instructor may tell you no; however, he or she may tell you yes if attendance is low during the first week and it appears that there might be room in the course.
  • If you can’t add the class right away, ask the instructor if you can attend the class in the meantime. That way you will be certain that you really want the course, and you will not have missed anything if the course becomes available.

How many credit hours can I take?

Students normally take an average of 15 credit hours per semesters for 8 semesters to graduate in a typical 4 year timeline. Students are required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours to be considered a "full-time" student. Some grants, scholarships and financial and packages require students to take at least 15 credit hours - it is important to review your financial aid package requirements.

Course overloads (over 18 hours)

Students may carry as many as 18 hours without special permission. Approval for programs of more than 18 hours (overload) must be obtained from the college. Overload permissions are generally granted in the registration system the day before classes begin (for example, spring semester overloads are available the day before spring classes start).  In summer terms, students may enroll in a maximum of 9 hours without special overload permission.

         Overload Request Form

Course underloads (under 12 hours)

LAS approves course loads of less than 12 hours in special circumstances, such as seniors in their final semester who need fewer than 12 hours to graduate and students with a documented illness who are unable to carry a full load (medical documentation is required). Students may request an underload for other reasons, but the college generally does not approve more than one such request. Permission for an underload is obtained at LAS Student Academic Affairs.

Course Underload Request Form for Graduating Seniors: This form is only for students who are planning to graduate in the current term. 

Course Underload Request Form for Continuing Students: Use this form if you are not planning to graduate in the current term.

May I take a course for credit/no credit?

Credit/no credit option

The credit/no credit option encourages students to explore subjects outside their major.

Timeline for selecting the option

Students must choose the credit/no credit option during the first half of the course term (for example, the first eight weeks of the semester, the fourth week of the summer session, or by the fourth week of an eight-week course), or before completing half the lessons of a correspondence course. Students must submit a credit/no credit form which will be reviewed by their department advisor.

Amending your request

If students later want to return to the traditional grade option, they must file an amended request with LAS Student Academic Affairs during the first half of the course term or before they complete half the lessons of a correspondence course. Be advised that petitions to change the grading option in a course which are submitted after the midterm deadline can be approved only when extenuating circumstances that might merit such a change are identified and documented.

To change to or from the credit/no credit option, students must obtain approval from their advisor. Students cannot be self-advising in this matter.

Be careful about using this option if...

  • You plan to apply to professional or graduate school. Students who accumulate 10 percent or more of their hours through the credit/no credit option may be forced to rely on achieving high scores on the nationally administered objective admission tests like the the MCAT and LSAT.
  • It may also affect your membership in an honorary society.

Restrictions on using the credit/no credit option

The credit/no credit option may not be used with courses graded as satisfactory/unsatisfactory, or with courses that satisfy the college's general education requirements, courses specifically required by the college for graduation, or courses specifically designated by the curriculum as satisfying the student's major (including supporting work and minors). This includes any course taken to fulfill the Composition I and Advanced Composition requirements or foreign language courses taken to fulfill graduation requirements.

Full-time students may take no more than two courses in any one semester under this option (one course during summer school). An exception is possible for study abroad.

Part-time students may take one course for credit/no credit in any one semester.

A student on probation may not exercise the credit/no credit option.

A NetMath or other course of non-traditional length may be taken credit/no credit provided that the course is not otherwise excluded from the option by the reasons above. (Such courses on credit/no credit will count as a credit/no credit course for each semester in which the student is enrolled in the university until the course is completed.)

Note: A final grade of CR or NCR is entered on the student's permanent academic record.

What languages count for the 4th level for the General Education Requirements?

We recommend you take the placement test before taking a 4th level of any language but here is a full detailed list: Language Requirements