Welcome to Sociology Advising!
Fall 2020 Sociology Undergraduate Advising
The Advising Office will not be open for in-person advising in Fall 2020. We still offer a variety of options to meet your advising needs! Appointments are available with both the Head Academic Advisor, Dawn McNulty, and the Assistant to the Academic Advisor, Claudia Sova. Schedule appointments via the link below. There are also Peer Advisors available throughout the week. Email is the best way to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the information below about our hours and appointment options.
Express Peer Advising: Peer Advisors are available to answer your questions and/or meet virtually every day of the week! Express-type questions may be answered via email: email@example.com. Please also email to schedule a meeting with a Peer Advisor. Advising Appointments and Express/Peer Advising are used for different purposes – please pay attention to the following when determining which is the appropriate type of appointment for you.
***Express Peer Advising ends December 9th, 2020, and will not begin again until early February 2021.
Appointments are approximately 30 minutes long and can cover:
- Satisfactory Appeal Progress Forms (Financial Aid)
- Major Plan of Study
- Course Selection/ Schedule
- Post-Graduation Discussions (career/ graduate school)
- Opportunities for student involvement in RSOs, including AKD
- Study Abroad
Express/Peer Advising is Available Through Email and via Zoom:
- Spring 2021 days/times coming soon!
If you have a question that does not require an appointment with the Department Advisor and/or can be answered by email, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to speak with a Peer Advisor, email email@example.com to set up an appointment.
Peer Advising appointments range from 15-30 minutes and can cover:
- Information about our major
- Questions about the Criminology, Law & Society Minor and the Sociology Minor
- Information about the Criminology, Law & Society Certificate and the Social Science Research Methods Certificate
- Learn to run and read a Degree Audit
- Navigate Course Explorer to find general education courses, major classes, and electives
- Learn to use Self-Service and/or Course Explorer
- Help with course registration AFTER meeting with an academic advisor
- Talk about SOC course offerings
- Understanding Moodle and/or Compass 2g
- Discuss department and campus resources (e.g. Life + Career Design Lab, Study Abroad, Career Services)
- Ask about RSO’s and other ways to get involved on campus
- And more!