Welcome to Sociology Advising!
Sociology Department Advising in Response to COVID-19:
Although the advising office is not available for express walk-ins or in-person advising, online and phone advising is available. Appointments are available via the link below. Email is the best way to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a guide to course planning for Fall 2020.
Click here for the Spring 2020 revised academic dates and policies.
Please see the information below about our hours and our appointments.
Virtual Office Hours with Dawn McNulty: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: Schedule an appointment.
Express Advising: Express-type questions may be answered via email: email@example.com.
Advising Appointments and Express Advising are used for different purposes – please pay attention to the following when determining which is the appropriate type of appointment for you.
Appointments are 30 minutes long and can cover:
- Satisfactory Appeal Progress Forms (Financial Aid)
- Major Plan of Study
- Course Selection/ Schedule
- Post-Graduation Discussions (career/ graduate school)
- Opportunities for student involvement in RSOs, including AKD
- Study Abroad
- Make an advising appointment HERE.
Express Peer Advising is Available Through Zoom for the Remainder of Spring 2020:
If you would like to speak with a Peer Advisor, email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment. You will receive an email with a link to a Zoom meeting within 15 minutes. Peer Advisors Claudia, Nisha, and Anna will be available during the following days/times:
- Monday: 10 am - 3 pm
- Tuesday: 9 am -12:30 pm, 2 pm - 5 pm
- Wednesday: 10 am - 1 pm, 2 - 3 pm
- Thursday: 9 - 11 am, 2 -3 pm, 4 - 5 pm
Peer Advising appointments are approximately 15 minutes long and can cover:
- Learn to run and read a Degree Audit
- Navigate Course Explorer to find general education courses, major classes, and electives
- Learn to use Self-Service and/or Course Explorer
- Help with course registration AFTER meeting with an academic advisor
- Talk about SOC course offerings
- Understanding Moodle and/or Compass 2g
- Discuss department and campus resources (e.g. Life + Career Design Lab, Study Abroad, Career Services)
- Ask about RSO’s and other ways to get involved on campus
- And more!