Welcome to Sociology Advising!
Fall 2020 Sociology Undergraduate Advising
The Advising Office will not be open for in-person advising in Fall 2020. We still offer a variety of options to meet your advising needs! Appointments are available with both the Head Academic Advisor, Dawn McNulty, and the Assistant Academic Advisor, Claudia Sova. Schedule appointments via the link below. There are also Peer Advisors available throughout the week. Email is the best way to contact us: email@example.com.
Important Advising Updates for the beginning of the Fall 2020 semester.
Click here for a guide to course planning for Fall 2020.
Please see the information below about our hours and appointment options.
Virtual Appointments with Dawn McNulty: Monday-Thursday: Schedule an appointment.
Virtual Appointments with Claudia Sova: Tuesday-Thursday: Schedule an appointment.
Express Advising/Peer Advising: Peer Advisors are available to answer your questions and/or meet virtually every day of the week! Express-type questions may be answered via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also email to schedule a meeting with a Peer Advisor.
Advising Appointments and Express/Peer Advising are used for different purposes – please pay attention to the following when determining which is the appropriate type of appointment for you.
Appointments are approximately 30 minutes long and can cover:
- Satisfactory Appeal Progress Forms (Financial Aid)
- Major Plan of Study
- Course Selection/ Schedule
- Post-Graduation Discussions (career/ graduate school)
- Opportunities for student involvement in RSOs, including AKD
- Study Abroad
- Make an advising appointment HERE.
Express/Peer Advising is Available Through Email and via Zoom:
Monday: 2pm-5pm (email only)
Tuesday: 9am-12pm (email and Zoom)
Wednesday: 12pm-1:30pm (email only), 2pm-5pm (email and Zoom)
Thursday: 2pm-3:30pm (email only)
Friday: 12pm-5pm (email and Zoom)
Express Advising appointments are typically about 15 minutes long and can cover:
- Add/drop forms
- Minor forms
- Late Course Add/ Section Change/ Credit Change Forms
- Minor Modification Forms
- Major Plan of Study Modification Form
- Independent Study Form
If you have a question that does not require an appointment with the Department Advisor and/or can be answered by email, reach out to email@example.com. If you would like to speak with a Peer Advisor, email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
Peer Advising appointments range from 15-30 minutes and can cover:
- Everything included in Express Advising
- Learn to run and read a Degree Audit
- Navigate Course Explorer to find general education courses, major classes, and electives
- Learn to use Self-Service and/or Course Explorer
- Help with course registration AFTER meeting with an academic advisor
- Talk about SOC course offerings
- Understanding Moodle and/or Compass 2g
- Discuss department and campus resources (e.g. Life + Career Design Lab, Study Abroad, Career Services)
- Ask about RSO’s and other ways to get involved on campus
- And more!