Gehui Zhang is currently a Ph.D candidate in Sociology at theUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She earned her M.A. degree in Sociology at Georgia State University in 2005, with the particular concentration on aging and life course studies. Her current academic interests include consumption and consumer society, commodification of parenting and childhood, globalization and modernity. Gehui's dissertation research concerns the transformation of parenting ideologies and the discourse of the modern child in contemporary China as well as their interactions with the development of China's market economy and urban consumer culture.
- Consumption and Consumer Culture; Globalization and Modernity; Global Childhood; Aging and Family
- M.A. Georgia State University, GA
- B.L. Southwestern University of Political Science and Law, China
Distinctions / Awards
- P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship, 2005-2007.
- Introduction to Sociology, Social Problems, Social Organizations